Definition: A Pre-GED/Skills Pathway is by definition a pathway that is an alternative to a regular education. A student who pursues this pathway will, if-successful. receive a Louisiana Equivalency Diploma (GED) and/or a State-Approved or Locally Designed Skills Certificate and NOT a standard Louisiana High School Diploma.
To enter the Pre-GED/Skills Pathway a student must be 16 years of age or turning 16 during the school year and meet one of the following TABE Reading Grade Level criteria:
- GED Pathway – TABE Reading Grade Level = 9
- Pre-GED Pathway – TABE Reading Grade Level = 7
- State-Approved Skills Certificate Pathway – TABE Reading Grade Level Score = 5
- Local Skills Certificate Pathway * – TABE Reading Grade Level Score = 3
* Depends upon committee approval and recommendation
In addition, one of these other criteria must be met:
- Earned no more than 6 Carnegie units/credits by age 17, no more than 12 Carnegie units/credits by age 18 and no more than 18 Carnegie units/credits by age 19.
- Students with Limited English Proficiency shall be considered eligible for the Pre-GED/Skills Pathway.
- Students at risk due to attendance. parenting, pregnancy, economic hardship, adjudication. and/or health issues shall be considered for the Pre-GED/Skills Pathway.